The Story of an Old Order Mennonite Girl



Circle Letters: The Story of an Old Order Mennonite Girl - A Memoir by Aleta M. Schrock



Wednesday, February 8, 2012

God Demonstrates His Love and Faithfulness Through His Creation


While sitting here at the dining room table writing, a squirrel came out from behind a pile of wood in the back yard, scratching here and there in the snow, apparently looking for a walnut he’d buried in the fall. I leaned on my chin and watched as Chris Tomlin’s words, Faithful, forever you are faithful… played in the background.


Across the river in the park two squirrels played chase running in and out among the trees. The one chasing stopped and both squirrels froze in unison, suspended in the snow momentarily. Suddenly the chaser moved again and they both were off weaving back and forth through the snow in a synchronized chase. …I will sing to the maker of heaven and earth… the song continued.
I sat there allowing the truth of the words sink into my soul as the song, on repeat, played over and over. My spirit knows the things the song is telling me, but my soul needs these remainders.
I gazed out the French doors into the very presence of God revealed in his creation as a flock of seagulls swooped down filling the window frames like a burst of white and black fireworks exploding above the river. Their snow colored bodies with black-tipped wings soared and swooped up and down, weaving in and out of each other in a graceful dance. Behind them the winter trees stood with black trunks exposed, their branches tipped with white snow.
As the aerial dance continued my hands rose in worship, my spirit entering into the dance. Suddenly, in one synchronized swoop, their bodies still in normal flying position, they all dropped straight down toward the river. Right before they reached the water they lifted themselves up as one body. Laughter escaped from my lips as in a grand finale they swooped back by my window once more and flew away.


A few remaining seagulls fluttered momentarily over the river, then a large one soared down from the left top side of the window frame and flew across the river, a second one followed and then they were gone. … I will sing to the maker of heaven and earth. God, you reign forever and your love will endure… You are “here” every season of my soul… You are faithful, God.


No comments:

Post a Comment